Saturday, March 01, 2008

Starting a Gift Basket Business



Starting a gift basket business is both fun and rewarding. As with starting any business, you must first do a lot of research before starting a gift basket business. Two years ago, I started a gift basket business called Thinking of You. I have a website that sells Snack Gift Baskets.

I began my business with very little research. I would recommend doing your research before starting your gift basket business. My first bit of advice would be to figure out the type of gift baskets you want to offer. When I first started my business I wanted to offer all types. However, after a year of trying that out, I realized that the hype about "finding your niche" was actually not hype at all, but good business advice.

Some people learn by reading, however, I usually learn by doing. My way was much less profitable. After deciding the type of gifts you want to create, you should decide if you want a local or online business. The limits with a local business are that you have to have a store front to generate enough natural advertisement to create a solid clientele. However, if you decide to have an online store, you can work from home or warehouse, offer services nationwide, and create a broader client base. Then again, you will have to deal with creating a website and keeping up with it.

The choice depends on the person and what you want for your business. You could always service both industries with time. The most important thing to first think about when trying to start your gift basket business is researching important things to know.

One of the biggest names in the industry and someone that can teach a lot of information is Cherie Reagor. http://www.cheriereagor.com/ She has created a set of instructional videos that teach even the most design-challenged person how to create gift baskets. One of the most important things to remember, however, when deciding on your designs for gift baskets is to make them unique. Do not take someone's design or images and use them as your own. This is unethical. We work hard to make our own designs as we expect newcomers to do the same.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Post. Your Content was very useful. I have book marked your website for your future post.

gift baskets canada

? said...

www.foodpackagingkl.com/Food packaging wholesales, Plastic food container,